1. Hey Guest, make sure to type /getcredits ingame to get a free daily reward!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Buy VIP to get reskins, resizes and more! Look at the VIP Information threads to learn more!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Bored of the same gamemode, we have loads on our GMM server, find it in the TF2 Servers tab!
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of new Forum suggestions [Post ratings, recent status updates, & more]

Discussion in 'DO NOT DELETE' started by Eight, Jun 12, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Eight

By:EightJun 12, 2017
    Armoured

Reputations:
    I was bored.

< ADD-ONS >

Trust+
    Haven't looked into it much besides the page but it's a security system for Xenforo but it looked appealing. Read the page if you want a more detailed explanation. Costs money.

Post Ratings
    I've seen a lot of Xenforo forums use this & it's worked out good. Pretty simple but it's really cool. You can add more custom ratings to users posts. Would be much better as opposed to the Like & +/-rep that is currently here. Costs money.

Visitors in the last 24 hours
    Self explanatory. Free & just looks good.

Thread Count
    Same description as the Visitors plugin. Free, self-explanatory, & looks good.

Username Changes
    Plug-in to allow advanced settings for forum users to change their usernames. Not free. It could also be made that users can change their own username with restrictions in place for it.

Recent Status Updates
    Side-bar for recent status updates. Seems free. Would look nice.

< NON ADD-ONS >

Unsure if it's here just I've closed out the notifications bar, but could the bar on the top of the main page that displays notifications be brought back, and if so could it display things such as:
    • Come join us on our Teamspeak (ip) or Discord (invite link).
    • Type /getcredits on our servers to retrieve your daily credit reward!
    • Buy VIP to get ___, _____, and more!
    And whatever you guys would want to put on it.

If a user's post is deleted, could that post be blocked from counting as a post in the Top posters bar? Hence all the spam bots that get 1 spam post deleted & end up being a top poster for the day.

I know the contest for this was practically abandoned, but maybe a new banner/logo on the top of the page could be set? The current one is fine so I don't mind not doing this but from what I remember there were a lot of appealing ones submitted that could be used.

I don't believe this is already a thing, but maybe it could be set that all forum users will by default receive notifications of threads/posts from forum sections under "Official Information." Would be useful to let users know of recent important info about PBFortress, even if the Shoutbox post alerts are already present.

Could we add back Shoutbox post alerts, or at least alerts for new threads? I remember a thread suggesting they be added back was accepted but nothing was done afterwards.

Require users to sign up via Steam? It'd stop spam in it's tracks & wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

EDIT:
    As it states anyone who's not browsing the forums can't see anything besides the Official Information & Archived sections. This has been like this for a while, but I honestly think that this an unnecessarily negative thing affecting the forums. If a new user comes to the forums and sees that there's nothing besides those things, they'll be turned off, even if we all know that they're other sections of the forums. Plus, what are we hiding? I see no important reason for this to be a thing and it's only affecting the forums negatively.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Aldash

By:AldashJun 12, 2017

Reputations:
    +Support on basically everything here (Especially the name change plugin)
    Except
    The thread count, seems unnecessary

Yoshiha12 (Ice God) and Eight like this.
  3. Mattaroni

By:MattaroniJun 12, 2017
    The People's Champion

Reputations:
    This is the one of the few times that I'll be giving someone / something a huge +support.
    Everything is explained in detail and it will absolutely be appealing, and worth a shot to try. I don't dislike any idea that is on this post.

4. Blizzard

By:BlizzardJun 12, 2017
    Manager
    Staff Member Manager

Reputations:
    That is a lot of new suggestions!!

I +Support for mostly everything suggested, but I do have a couple of questions that I would appreciate being answered.

#1. Don't we already have a somewhat decent thread counter? What is considered to count the "Messages" that each person has.
    (+/- support for the thread counter, as Aldash said that it doesn't seem necessary, and I'm starting to think the same thing)

#2. Are you saying that you want the PBFortress Forum logo to be changed? If so, I agree that we could have a contest for it but I'd like to have an option where people can vote for the logo to be kept the same, if all of the potential new ones suck LOL.

#3 How would we be able to fund all of the improvements added, as this seems to be very expensive.

5. Aldash

By:AldashJun 12, 2017

Reputations:
    There was already a contest,

Check Artwork

6. Eight

Armoured

Reputations:
    There is a thread counter but it's viewable only through going to the users profile -> content -> scrolling down to threads created. While yes I can't really say this is a necessary addition that's not really why I'm suggesting it. I'm suggesting it because there's no real cons to it (free & doesn't really affect anything else) along with the fact that's it's a neat addition to count the amount of threads a user has & display it. I understand though if you guys don't want to add it.

As Aldash said we already had a contest & there's currently logos from that. http://pbfortress.com/forum/index.php?threads/pbfortress-artwork-challenge-voting-thread.16686/
    Also you already have an option to vote for not changing the logo, just -support. x)

Post Ratings is only a one time payment of $20 I believe so that shouldn't be much of an issue. Trust+ is probably the most expensive thing since I think it requires a monthly payment & I'm not too sure about it myself due to not really looking into it a LOT so I don't mind if that isn't added (though from viewing the page it seems pretty useful).

7. FliX

By:FliXJun 12, 2017
    What Am I Doing?
    Staff Member Developer

Reputations:
    Green = +support
    Orange = +/-support
    Red = -support

ADD-ONS.

1 - Not gonna happen. Recurring cost for not enough gain, as well as the fact that PB probably wouldnt pay for it.
    2 - Seems OK, would allow different opinions to be given without having to bother replying
    3 - That would only show how few players we have on forums.
    4 - Yeah why not, would show who makes Original content and who just spams on music thread
    5 - Would end up getting too confusing because everyone would change their names imo, adding the director barrier reduces the spam of name changes.
    6 - Would add a reason to change status. Wouldnt really hurt.

NON ADD-ONS.

1 - Would be an easy way to show off updates.
    2 - Pretty sure that would require giving managers the perma delete permission so no, especially after Ray went rogue.
    3 - I want number 12
    4 - I'll look into the possibility of this

5 - Not enough people use shoutbox imo, it would just end up getting spammed with that crap
    6 - If possible ye

Mattaroni and Eight like this.
  8. Eight

Armoured

Reputations:
    Forums are pretty active from what I've seen.

It can't be configured for deleted messages (or at least semi-deleted ones) to not count as posts?

Since Shoutbox is on the center of the homepage it wouldn't really matter if enough people did/didn't use the shoutbox (which imo lots of ppl do). It'd be more-so an addition to promote activity.

Jesse aka Space4cake and FliX like this.
  9. Tankguy

By:TankguyJun 26, 2017
    Go get some tea and me

Reputations:
    Looks actually pretty great. I would give it a +Support

10. Jesse aka Space4cake

By:Jesse aka Space4cakeJun 26, 2017
    The person below me is bad

Reputations:
    +Support

Gj 8 its a good thread!

Tankguy likes this.
  11. Ray

By:RayJun 26, 2017
    Head Weenie

Reputations:
    +troppus to all ideas, seems good seems good I like

12. Eight

By:EightJul 8, 2017
    Armoured

Reputations:
    I've added a new non-add-on suggestion (#7). Please check it out and if you haven't leave a reply regarding what you think about my suggestions!

13. Aldash

By:AldashAug 15, 2017

Reputations:
    BUMP

14. lil blaze

By:lil blazeAug 15, 2017

Reputations:
    +

s

u

p

p

o

r

t

15. Aldash

By:AldashAug 17, 2017

Reputations:
    When it is a 2 month long wait for a final agreement with
    16 +supports

4 - supports

2 -/+ supports

Seriously just close this and see what you can do.

@demon @Misty @Cena @Lolz @FliX
    Sorry for the long tag

16. FliX

By:FliXAug 17, 2017
    What Am I Doing?
    Staff Member Developer

Reputations:
    I have done everything I can. PB is needed for everything left pretty much as I cannot put addons on the forums and he has final say over Logo change.
    Others that aren't done are must likely not able to get done.

Aldash and Mattaroni like this.